I have made lip balms before but never tinted with colour. But it turns out it is quite easy. I got my son and his classmate helping me out ❤
This is a great way to both spend time with kids and at the same time make something that is safe for them and you to wear on a daily basis.
Normal lip balms are filled with unnecessary things like paraffin or petroleum(mineral oil), preservatives, artificial dyes, flavors and colors.
I found this about mineral oil. According to Efsa, European Food Safety Authority mineral oils may act as a genetic carcinogen, meaning it might damage human DNA. While some saturated mineral oils can accumulate in the tissue and cause adverse effects in the liver. In EU some variations of mineral oils are approved as food additives.
To make your own skincare products is a great way to lessen the toxic load we all are exposed to at this point. Especially for kids that has a much smaller and sensitive system.
The fun thing about this recipe is that you can easily use the oils you have available at home just make sure if you have more liquid oils than solid in this recipe then you need add 1 more spoon of beeswax that acts as a solidifier.
Another thing is that if you have a grinder. Like a coffegrinder you can grind your own powders from vegetables or berries you already have. Just slice it up, pop it in the oven and dry it overnight at aroud 50 degrees. It is a great way to save some old beets that was about to go to waste. 💚
What you need:
- 1 spoon beeswax
- 1 spoon grapeseed oil
- 1 spoon olive oil
- 1 spoon coconut oil
- 1 spoon shea butter
- 20 drops stevia
- 0,3 teaspoon cola aroma/10 drops essential oil
- 1 capsule of vitamin e (act as a preservative, can be skippes)
- 1-6 teaspoons of coloured plant powder (beetroot, blue spirulina, turmeric, sweet potato, blueberries, raspberries, hibiscus)
- Clean containers
- Boil some water and melt the fat in a water bath above. You don’t want any water mixed in with your fats.
- When the beeswax is melted add the stevia, aroma/essential oils. Mix it up
- Add the powder until you have the desired colour. The more pigment you add the more visible it will be on the actual lip. 💋
- Pour liquid into containers and pop in the fridge for fast solidifying.
- Enjoy your clean lipbalm
It is also possible to experiment with several colors with this batch, but pouring the batch into smaller containers be aware that the oil mix gets cold and starts to solidify, so you have to act fast 😉
I love this for my self and those small girlie girls that wanna grow up to fast, but with this recipe you can make sure the ingredients are SAFE for their growing bodies 💜 have some fun experimenting with colors, smells and flavors. 💋💋💋